Monday, June 10, 2013

Foodie paradise: The Viktualienmarkt

           (The maypole in the center of the market illustrates the different craftsman in the area- including the brewers and their famous Reinheitsgebot)
It took me a little while but I think I  found my favorite place in Germany! The Viktualienmarkt is an amazing food market and a square in the center of Munich near the Marienplatz. The Viktualienmarkt (victuals is the term for food in Latin) developed from an ancient original farmers' market to a popular market for tourists and local foodies. In an area covering 240,00 square feet, about 140 stalls and shops offer flowers, exotic fruit, game, poultry, spices, cheese, fish, juices and so on. If you like going to your local farmers market, you will totally geek out at this place! Every time I get the chance to go, I walk around in awe of the exotic fruits, stare at the incredible cheeses and sample anything I can get my hands on. It is a foodie paradise. The place is in incredibly inspiring and I want to do all my shopping there (but it is expensive). 
Plus, there is a lovely biergarten and picnic area in the center of the whole thing- which is my favorite place to grab some fresh fried fish or German cuisine and hang out with a beer or glass of Reisling on a nice day!


I took some pictures of some of the booths at the market this weekend to give everyone an idea:






1 comment: