Thursday, March 28, 2013

Farewell Chicago!

So Nathan left a few days ago for Munich, and as sad as it was to see him leave without me, it was a nice opportunity for reflection about our experiences here in Chicago the past 2 months! Living in Chicago has definitely been a crazy experience, and as Nathan and I discussed- we would not change our experience for the world. The reason I love to travel is just this- no matter if you have an entirely blissful experience or not- traveling helps you expand your world view and helps you learn about yourself.
                                                                     (Nathan all packed and headed to Germany- so cute!)
I learned a few things here in Chicago about myself:
I can stand the cold windy weather- with the right clothes of course!
I really enjoy rain boots and umbrellas- I do not think I have ever really needed to use them before.
I can get up really early in the morning and be a productive adult (and go to bed at 10pm).
I get addicted to television and facebook when I am lonely- bad bad bad.

I also learned a few things about Chicago:
What they tell you about the weather is true- it is pretty brutal- but they also tell you that summer is amazing- it seems that the people of Chicago really live for the summer!
The sunshine helps- although it did not show up a lot- I seemed to enjoy the city more on sunny days!
The museums are really awesome- if you get a chance to go- go!
They call soda= pop and the restroom/bathroom= washroom.
Everyone is super nice- they say everyone in the midwest is that way- they seem to take pride in it!
The transportation system is pretty awesome- but it still takes awhile to get around because unlike other big cities I have visited (notably Manhattan and San Francisco) it is spread out and huge!
It is not as scary as other people think- you really have to go to the scary neighborhoods to experience regular violence I guess. Also- lots of normal people do drive cars and there is parking.
The food is great and all- but you have to have a lot of money to dine at the best places in town and there are about 100000 mediocre restaurants to fill your time and your belly if your broke.
If I were to live there a long time I would want to live in the hip area of town- Wicker Park- it has a lot of awesome restaurants, cheap bars and a groovy vibe.
There are probably more Walgreens per capita than any where else in the world- seriously.

Things I miss about home:
Good breakfast tacos
The hippie free spirit mentality- not too many people walking around listening to the Dead and wearing Tie-dye like Boulder or Austin.
Our fun friends- we made some friends but I miss the oldies and goodies.
Letting the cat outside to roll around and enjoy herself- in Chicago she stayed inside our apartment.
                                                                    (My travel companion- she is so cute in her travel bag!)
So- that about wraps it up! So long Chicagoland- if I come back- it will definitely be in the summer!

I am sitting in the Madrid Airport waiting for our final plane to Munich in a few hours!
I AM SO EXCITED! Also- we are headed to Prague for Easter weekend with a lot of the other brewing guys- should be blog worthy so stayed turned!



No comments:

Post a Comment