Thursday, August 7, 2014

DIY Wedding is 100 days away!

After a move to humid Houston, a year of crazy work hours, endless phone calls, wedding emails, and a knee surgery, we are 100 days away from our wedding day! The last year has been an adjustment, but we are now settled in to domestic life, and I have decided to share some of our upcoming wedding projects and events here on my blog!

We have been to several weddings this year- this was at Brad and Heather's in June- fun times!
As you know if you are a returning reader, we traveled a lot in 2013 for Nathan's education (which has come in handy- his work life is pretty great.) Unlike some traditional couples that have planned and saved money for their wedding, we have had a pretty small budget going into this thing. Our families have been incredibly loving and helpful along the way, so asking them to throw us an elaborate black tie affair was pretty much out of the question. Instead, we decided to put a little more personal time and creativity into an approachable "Do It Yourself" wedding- a wedding inspired by our love for each other, an event that will allow us to spend quality time with the people we love, in a beautiful place.

Nathan hard at work in the Karbach Brewery Lab!
So, we found a beautiful and very affordable location along a river in Texas (we prefer the fall here, which happens to be the "off season" in this area= perfection) and have encouraged our friends and family to make plans to join us for the weekend.

A pic we took last fall at our wedding venue in Concan, Texas along the Frio River- beautiful!
I recently quit my restaurant management job in order to spend more time with my husband-to-be, and our friends and family for the next 100 days. While I am still working part time, this move has allowed me to save a lot of money doing most of the wedding planning on my own. While I would not recommend everyone plan their wedding on their own, I am a "event planner" by nature (I grew up in a wedding business which my family still owns, and have been professionally organizing other people's special event food for some time now.) Not to mention, we are surrounded by creative and fun loving individuals that are helping to make this whole thing happen. Some days are more challenging than others, but so far I am enjoying myself. Stay tuned for the upcoming 100 days of wedding planning- it should be a wild and rewarding ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment