Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Brunch time!

We have longed for a schedule that allows us to eat brunch for a very long time. Both of us have had such strange schedules that Saturday and Sunday morning brunch was never an option.  So, this last weekend we made up for lost time. On Saturday morning, we went to a little greek inspired brunch restaurant that I had wanted to go to called Kanela (meaning cinnamon in greek) in our neighborhood. It was very busy when we arrived, but we did not end up having to wait.  We started with loukoumades (little pastries with lemon honey syrup and toasted walnuts).I ordered a Rumchata Latte (Rumchata is a cinnamon rum liquor) and the duct confit hash ( duck confit is duck cooked in its own fat- very rich). Nathan ordered the French Toast Flight special. The food came out quickly and  fantastic as predicted. The cake-like french toast was obviously made from sweet breads (red velvet with vanilla custard in the middle, orange, lemon poppy seed and banana nut bread). Nathan enjoyed the orange sprinkled with cinnamon the best and I enjoyed the red velvet most. I also could not help to notice everyone around us also enjoying their beautiful food and giant bloody marys. The service was impeccable. So far, I would dare to say the best dining experience we have had in the city. I was so impressed at Kanela that I spoke to the manager and will hopefully be training to join their team (they are opening another location close to Nathan's school) in the next few days. It should be a good opportunity to make money- so we can continue to go out to eat!

(pictured top:
 Rumchatta latte and loukoumades,
left: french toast flight,
right:duck confit hash)





On Sunday, Nathan got to pick the restaurant. We ended up at Stanley's kitchen and tap room. It was a dive bar and restaurant that was recommended to him by his school. It is the official bar of the Blackhawks and the bar of Chicago Texas Exes. I happened to wear a UT sweatshirt on Sunday so I fit in perfectly with the decorations. They had a bloody mary bar (with Titos vodka) and southern style brunch buffet (I usually hate buffets for a lot of reasons) so I was skeptical. I was pleasantly surprised- they had amazing fried chicken, smoked salmon and an awesome salad. Our waitress was terrible considering all she had to do was be nice and bring us clean plates. But I do not think that will stop me from returning- those 22 oz. bloody marys will lure me back- I am sure of it.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i would like to admit that we were very hungover and nathan picked the place.

    ReplyDelete