Sunday, February 10, 2013

Throwback:Austin Style

So my friend Ryan O'Hagan that I met and worked with at SALT the Bistro in Boulder texted me the other day because he is going to Austin in a few weeks. Of course, I am not there but he knew I would have a lot of recommendations for food and drink in the area. If you know me well, you know that I am really really excited with the food and drink scene of Austin. It has a huge population of transient young people who come from all over,  and I think the foodie scene is catching up to it's famous music scene. So- here is to those I love in Austin and those who might visit soon! Here are a few of my recommendations:

Drink-
Dive Bars- White Horse and Yellow Jacket Social Club (east side), Black Sheep Lodge (s.lamar)
** I would say Hole in the Wall but I am angry that East Side Kings have taken over**
Beer Bars- Draught House Pub (off the beaten path but my favorite bar ever), Bangar's (Rainey St.) and Pint House Pizza (Burnet) **not my personal favorite but those I respect love it**
Best Beers to drink while in Austin- 512 Pecan Porter, 512 IPA, Hops and Grains ALT and anything from Austin Beer works!
Coffee- Jo's (S. Congress), Epoch (north loop)
Craft Cocktail Bars- East Side Showroom (east side), Drink. Well. (north loop), Fire House Lounge (6th) and Midnight Cowboy (6th)** must make a reservation- 2 drink minimum**

Food-
Casual Fine Dining-
Uchiko  (north lamar)-**Japanese Farm House- Award winning Uchiko is pretty much amazing. They have a huge following for a good reason. The decor is perfect and warm- the food is innovative and delicious. I recommend saving your money by opting to not drink and getting an extra dessert because they will blow your mind.**
Barley Swine ( south lamar) **Innovative incredible small plates that will shock you. I was blown away by the Red Fish Mousse with breakfast radish and popcorn. One of the best meals I have ever had. The beer list rocks. You can watch the chefs in the open kitchen. Buy them a beer.**
Mexican Food- Juan in a Million (east side), Habanero's (s. 1st),
Tacos (yes- their own category)-Torchy's Tacos (everywhere), Taco Deli (barton skyway)**Dona sauce is addictive**, El Chilito (east side)
Barbeque- Franklin's (east side)** worth waiting in line** and Freedmans (west campus)**try the smoked banana pudding**

Fun- Barton Springs Pool, Zilker Park, Jazz at the Elephant Room, UT Campus and Blanton Art Museum, Alamo Draft House Movie Theater, Music- just look around and you will find it!


           (Franklin's BBQ above; Uchiko on the left)







No comments:

Post a Comment