Friday, February 8, 2013

Staying warm in the windy city.....

So, we have been here almost a week now. I heard so many horror stories about Chicago winter that I had no idea what to expect. Nathan and I both invested in hardcore awesome winter coats from a reliable skiing store in Austin (it is hilarious to think that the only people in Austin, Texas that are going to experience a winter at all are going skiing). Anyway, it was 8 degrees when we arrived. 8 degrees is colder than I have probably ever experienced. But, we got all dressed in our winter gear and went walking to the grocery store right off the bat. Half way because we needed to and half way because I think we wanted to test ourselves. Because of our coats, hats, long johns and sweaters, we were fine. I was surprised how comfortable I was considering the circumstance. Just shows you that anyone can survive in the right weather with the right clothes. So, the next fews days I set out again, and it snowed the entire time I was out. It was beautiful and surreal. I was once again surprised at  how comfortable and durable my clothes were, and how warm and dry I was. So, Thursday I sat out again- yet it was not snowing, it was raining. I figured it might stop quickly, it was just a little drizzle anyway but noooo. Cold rain really gets ya...gets through your boots,socks and gloves. I was freezing and I learned my lesson- cold rain sucks way more than snow.
            Anyway, besides the awesome gear people seem to wear around these parts,I found another secret weapon against the cold....hot soup!  On one our our first adventures around our neighborhood we found this awesome little place called the SoupBox. Basically it is a little spot that sells 12 different kinds of hot fresh soup (they make them all daily and you never know what will be on the menu). They let you sample as many of them as you care to. They also have delicious warm sour dough or multi- grain bread and grilled cheeses for like 3 bucks. Nathan ordered the lobster bisque and I had a broccoli white cheddar soup and vegetable chili mixed- they call it the mix of the day. Both were great. The bisque had a perfect texture,not too thin and not too thick and creamy. You could taste the warm sherry and shells in the broth. (For those of you who do not know, most bisques are not true to their name- they must have been flavored by cooking down crustacean shells and sherry in broth). The service was great. I had already made a mental note of this when Nathan mentioned, "for a group of young guys they are really attentive and have given great service." I even noticed one of the young men who was serving us told his co-worker to go open the door for a woman on crutches that was approaching. (Yes, I notice those little things.) All in all, a great little warm lunch experience. I enjoyed it so much I have been back since.

No comments:

Post a Comment